Friday, January 22, 2010

Low Wash

My first post isn't going to be about who I am or what this blog is about, it's about a sign that went on while I was driving home this morning from a MOPS meeting. I heard a ding and looked down to see my "low wash" light had come on. I always chuckle when I see this come on because i remember the first time i saw it.
As a girl who's dad always did everything with the vehicles i had no idea what low wash meant. i had called my boyfriend (at the time) in a panic, "what does low wash mean?!" i fondly remember the long silence that came after and then a genuinely confused "what?". "low wash! it's on my dashboard", "oh. ok, it means your windshield washer fluid is low". I remember the duh feeling that washed over me as i thanked him and hung up the phone, i can only imagine what he was thinking. I digress though, it's a funny story, but that's not what I was thinking about when this sign came on.

I started thinking about our conversation at MOPS and how a lot of women today won't ask for help. We all seem to think that we have to take the weight of the world on and balance it on our head without asking for some assistance. I'm guilty. However once, when I did ask for help, no one really did and it's deterred me from doing so ever since. So when the Low Wash sign came on, it really struck me. Our vehicles are able to tell us when they need something. They have an annoying noise to remind you that your keys are still in the ignition, lights, dings and dongs to tell you when you're overheating or a fluid is low, tells you specifically to check your oil or your engine. And we listen! (Or we get our husband/dad/brother to check it out) Not only do pay attention to what the dashboard tells us, but we also pay attention to how it runs on a daily basis. If your brakes start squeaking, your headlight goes out or your tire goes flat, you do something about it.

So I ask you, if you had a sign come on today (or yesterday, or last week), what would it be?
Check Laundry Level
Low Energy
Overdoing it
Assistance Needed
Send Food
Need a Friend
Low H20 Level
Caution: Angry

Would you give yourself a check over if you discovered yourself feeling unwell/sad/angry? Would you call a friend to help you deal with the problem? You wouldn't leave yourself to break down on the side of the road with your car, so why was I sobbing in my car at a stop light while I was thinking about this? Because we just don't ask. As moms and women we GIVE. That's a great thing most of the time but when we don't check in every so many miles for our own tune up, we can get run down.

So my friends, I'm asking you to make a conscious effort to ASK. Be specific, be greatful, and most important, don't feel guilty. Chances are, you've done something nice for someone in the past and you deserve some good karma. If you're in a good place, DO something. Sometimes friends aren't so good at asking but you know they would love to come home to a vaccumed house, a meal at their door or a kid free morning, so just do it. Demand house keys, drop off food or arrange a playdate and tell them they are not required to be there. Whether you need help or are giving time, it all comes full circle. The most important thing though, is to ASK. It always seems like people are willing to help, but they need to know which specific thing would be most appreciated. Is it going for a coffee, or child care? TELL US!

If I had a sign today, it would be flashing "caution, stressed, may implode" or it would just clearly say "sad". What would yours be?

Honestly Yours,
Me

2 comments:

  1. It really took me until my third baby before I got better about asking for help. This time, I was even able to ask for capital H Help for my postpartum anxiety! After baby #2, though, when I tried asking for help, I felt largely dismissed by my husband and mother. In between babies, I spelled out exactly how crappy that was, and they've been great about it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this really hit home for me. I have a hard time. I ask for help, but help isn't easy to come by. John works so much, and I have to pay for any other help I get because I feel bad asking for free childcare or cleaning or whatever.

    Caution: Angry would be a good one for me for earlier. Right now I'm calming down a bit, though. Thanks for this post, it is a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete